With Valentine's Day just a few weeks away, I like to take this time to not think about how lucky I am to have my soul mate, and believe me I do and I'm lucky as hell. I adore my man and I know he adores me. But before I met him I was recovering from a divorce. I had reached the point post relationship where I had to make a decision. Do I keep looking for someone to love me, or do I put the effort into loving myself first. See, I hadn't done that in a very long time. After a breakup, there are times you just can't wrap your head around how everything went so spectacularly wrong.
It took some time, but I found my happy again. I learned to not only like myself, but to love myself. I made my life plan based on being by myself and living my life to the fullest. That's when love found me.
So while not everyone has a permanent Valentine's date, I thought I could offer some advice on how to be your own Valentine. This may seem simple, but it's harder to give yourself the love you need sometimes.
This Valentines, what are you going to do for you?
1. Take a bath, light the candles, play the music.
2. Open a bottle of wine, find your favorite television show and binge.
3. Invite your single friends over for a besties party.
4. Volunteer - spread the love.
5. Plan a family dinner.
6. Paint your nails and curl your hair, get gussied up even if you're staying at home.
7. Write a love letter to yourself. Remind your heart that you are an amazing person.
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentine's Day. We all have love to give, no matter what.
Writer by day, Netflix junky by night. Fueled by Red Vines and Coke Zero. Distracted by social media when I'm supposed to be working.